Hancock-Petty House

Charlotte Branch of APVA Meets In Red House

                                                                                                                                                by Betty H. Tipton

           The annual meeting of the Charlotte Branch of the Association of Virginia Antiquities took place Saturday, October 8, on the grounds of the Hancock-Petty House in Red House.          

This was the first time the branch had met in this section of the county, and articles on the history of the Village of Red House, the two churches in the village, and the Hancock-Petty House were compiled by Gene Hile McKinney for the fall issue of the quarterly magazine, The Southsider, published by the branch

“During the period of 1828-38, Red House grew to be a thriving town with a post office, taverns, churches and a school….

long report